The people who cultivate and support this site. Keep us happy and motivated by using and enjoying it!
West Coast Knitters Guild
The WCKG meets the 1st Tuesday of each month in Vancouver, B.C.
Subscribe to the RSS feed for LYS Reviews comments.
Visit our LYS page for information about local (GVRD) shops, our Resources page for links to shops, local and beyond, and this LYS Reviews category is for posts about yarn shops and other knitterly destinations.
Shop reviews wanted!
A name and basic information are a good resource, but if you want to know more about a destination, you’ll want a review! You can help by writing a review. What would you like to tell us about your favourite yarn store? Here’s some ideas of what you might want to include.
What would you want to know about an LYS?
- Shop name
- A basic description of the store.
How and where to find it
- Street address, including a nearby intersection and/or neighbourhood reference
- Website URL
- Contact information: phone number, email address, mailing address, fax number
- Hours of operation (regular, summer/winter, holidays)
- Who are the owners? How long have they been in business?
- Any charity related or community service programs?
- Is there a newsletter or mailing list?
The shopping experience
- What types of merchandise do they carry (yarn, needles, buttons, etc.)?
- How is the yarn organized (by weight, colour, fibre, etc.)?
- Do they carry books and patterns, and how are they organized and displayed?
- What is on display and how often does it change?
- Who are the staff we’re likely see there?
- Is there a place to sit and knit?
- Do they allow food or beverage?
- What is unique?
- What else is in the area?
- Do they offer a discount for WCKG members, or for other guilds or groups?
- Do they have their own discount program? How does it work?
- Will they special order for me? Can I have it shipped to me?
- Will they hold part of a dyelot, or can I return extra for store credit?
- Do they have a regular sale, a clearance bin, or deals on discontinued products?
Services, Classes, Events
- Do they offer scheduled classes? Drop-in help? Private lessons? Workshops?
- Do they host special events like book signings and trunk shows?
- Can I book an event there?
- What about services like custom knitting, garment assembly, repairs?
- Access - how easy is it to park? to use public transit?
- What is accessibility like for wheelchairs, scooters, strollers?
- Can non-knitters to occupy themselves while yarn-a-holics shop?
- Kid-friendly? Kid-tolerant?
- Are any atypical payment methods offered, or common ones restricted?
- What do you like about the store?
- What would you wish for them to add to their products or services?
- Is this a destination for visitors? Is this a stand-by for locals?
A note to shop owners: We prefer LYS reviews to come from someone not affiliated with the shop, however you can facilitate a review by providing factual information and photographs and by making yourself available to be interviewed. If you have and maintain a website of your own, send us a URL and description and we will include it.15ec
One Response to “LYS Reviews”